Welcome!

Welcome to my little corner of the blogger world! First, let me tell you a little about myself...
My love of reading developed later than most I'd say (in my 20's). During my elementary and teen years, I wasn't much of a reader to be honest. My attention wasn't focused on literature, but on sports and hanging out with friends. My goals were different then. I worked hard, became a professional cheerleader, then a collegiate D2 coach, judged competitive cheer at the highest level as well as various college tryouts.  

Then, I met the man of my dreams, got married, and started a family. When I became a mother, "me time" was far and few between. A friend convinced me I had to read this book she just finished. I explained I wasn't much of a reader outside of my go-to US weekly and People magazines. With a little more prodding, I caved. To my surprise, I loved the book and immediately had to get my paws on the next immediately. Little did I know, a seed had been planted. My love for reading developed and quickly progressed into something I never imagined it would be. And I thank my friend for that often. During this time, I joined the Goodreads community, and met a great group of ladies who made me feel at home. We chatted consistently, and friendships formed. A year or so later, two of us created a wonderful review blog together! The tiny seed grew...

One day I stumbled upon an opportunity to intern with a publishing company and of course I was thrilled! I read manuscripts and provided feedback. I had toyed with stories of my own here and there, but eventually, the drive to become more pushed me in a new direction, and a dream to become a writer evolved. My seed became a sapling, with tiny branches...

 As an aspiring published author there were many facets in which to learn about the craft of writing, query letters, finding an agent, etc. I was overwhelmed with books, websites, interviews,  and spent hours and hours researching and training my brain to be a writer as opposed to being a reviewer. I inquired and asked endless questions to friends already published, and soaked in every ounce of advice I possibly could. It wasn't easy and it wasn't something I took lightly. I wanted to do it the right way, put my time in and feel good about the progress I had made as I journeyed into a different literary platform.  

You could say I'm somewhat of an introvert (really!!!), not particularly fond of crowds, and battle those insecurities like, "am I doing this right?" It's normal to second guess yourself and often get down on yourself because we are our own worst critic. Surrounding myself with positive influences, friends who support and encourage me, and never let me give up, made a world of difference. Not only do I have a completed manuscript, but I have several others in progress. Never stop and never give up. You can do it!!!

As of now, I am taking the necessary steps to turn my dream into a reality. If you have a dream of becoming an author and aren't quite sure where to start,  I've provided a couple of websites that helped me tremendously. Feel free to comment with any websites/books that you've found useful as well. Thanks for stopping by, and good luck to you on your path to achieving your dreams.

http://writersdigest.com
http://writershelpingwriters.net/resources-for-writers/


Looking for a critique partner? Check out: Howaboutwecp.tumbler.com




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Published!

National Novel Writing Month and Updates